Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving Thanks - Day Twenty-Two

I am so thankful for SLEEP.  SLEEP is an amazing gift.  Most of the time I don't struggle at all to sleep, and I have found that the times I do--it's something SO much deeper. 

"I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches."  Psalm 63:6

"At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee be cause of thy righteous judgments."  Psalm 119:62

"My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises." Psalm 119:148

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labour in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep."  Psalm 127:1-2

"He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you — the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm — he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and for evermore."   Psalm 121:4-8

"When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."  Psalm 74:16

"The sleep of a labourer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep."  Proverbs 3:24

So often we hear those prayers of old times that when our eyes are closed in sleep, that we ask God for extra protection. It is the prayer that God may dwell with us and in us even when we are unconscious of his presence, that he may keep our hearts pure and holy in spite of all the cares and temptations of the night, to make our hearts ever alert to his call and, like the boy Samuel, answer him even in the night with: Even in sleep God can perform his wonders upon us or evil bring us to destruction. May my heart be right in day or night, that my sleep may be sweet. 

When our eyes with sleep are girt, Be our hearts to thee alert; Shield us, Lord, with thy right arm, Save us from sin’s dreadful harm. (Martin Luther)

I think back over the time when Josh was gone, and I slept.....oh, I battled during the day, and SOMETIMES I awoke in the night. BUT....the fruitfulness of labor allows for sweet sleep.  Last night I slept AMAZINGLY, I am energized and ready to take on the fight. Satan wants to steal your sleep, because then you will be too tired to fight.

I am so thankful for SWEET SLEEP!


1 comments:

Lady Dorothy said...

I love that the Bible calls it "sweet sleep". I still remember the first time I heard the phrase many years ago. It was during a very difficult trial and the concept of sweet sleep was an amazing thought!