Thursday, September 25, 2008

Free the Leash Kiddies~Part 2



Okay, since bonding with your child is obviously not a selling point, there are practical purposes as well. You can only know what your child is doing when you are not looking if the leash is taut. Parents usually develop a sixth sense, but if you are distracted because of clothes shopping or talking with friends, you get distracted. TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE. If you hold hands or carry your child, you will always know what is happening. Holding hands gives you direct physical contact with your child. If he or she is reaching for something, you can feel it in your hands. You can feel the little fingers twist, and the palm flex as it matches the action of the other hand, ready to snatch something, possibly to pop it into an awaiting mouth. You will know what he or she is up to. A leash… your child could go behind you and stick something in a power outlet. All you will hear is a snap, and ...........a jerk on the leash will do nothing at that point.

Maybe I can scare you into the NON-LEASHING GROUP! If your child is really hyper, instead of leashes, here are some tips that may not solve the problem, but it will help:

Watch your child's diet. This should be obvious, but you can make a kid hyper by giving them sugar and caffeine, which occurs in such things as soda, chocolate, cookies, and candy. Some kids also get hyper on MSG, which occurs naturally in soy products, and also a lot of fast food. Reduce these in your kid's diet, or cut them out altogether. This is a HUGE topic, all it's own!

Pay attention to the right things. If you ignore them when they are being good, and pay attention to them when they are being bad, you end up saying, "You will get attention from me when you act up," because to a kid, bad attention is better than no attention at all. Kids crave attention because it is natural. Hey, if I do it--my kids definitely will.Praise them often for good behavior, like, "Thank you for being calm while I was talking to our Pastor" and "I am proud of you for acting so good in that restaurant." "Catch them doing something right!" They will learn over time that controlling themselves brings praise, and being hyper makes you more distant. Boy, I am writing to myself here......

Be considerate of your child. Many children become hyper and cranky when sleepy and tired. Children also become BORED quickly, if you know you are going to be a long time in a place where they might be bored, bring a paper and pencil. Cut down on all the TV and video games--and children become more interested in the simple things. I tell my children that I don't want kill their imaginations......so, no, you cannot watch TV.


STOP CONFESSING BAD THINGS OVER YOUR CHILD!! "Jimmy has some behavioral issues, but his doctor thinks it might be........" Kids have feelings. AND Satan usese our words.....

Think about that for a second. Kids are HUMAN BEINGS that THINK and FEEL and have different thoughts than everyone else.

This is my main gripe about putting kids on a leash.But honestly, if you treat your child with respect and dignity, he or she is sure to follow. Dogs can be taught; I know children can be.....

If your child is too hyper, some hyperactivity is caused by an allergy. And if this is the case, don't take it out on yourself or anyone else. God made our children just the way they are for a purpose. We just sometimes have to WORK harder to find what it is.....

But throw away that leash. Leashes are for dogs and horses, not children (or cats).

The only time I want to see a harness on a child is when they are on a boat, it it will keep them from falling over the edge. (or maybe you could convince me, at an amusement park......I said, MAYBE!)

Now that I have finished.......do YOU use a leash? I promise--I don't hate you!


take your parents to work day

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Serena!
I can't remember if I even ended up using our "leash" at the airport or not....However, I travel to Canada alone with Joanna most times and with everything that I have to remember to bring, I think the airport might be a time when a leash could be exeptable....What do you think?
Anne P

Anonymous said...

I like your blog by the way....

Anne P

Serena Abdelaziz said...

I can see at an airport, but I have to be passionate about one side, right?

No, really, I think that in busy places I would still feel like the leash would only be a safety net, and I would still have to tell my kids to have a hand on me! :-)

Gombojav Tribe said...

We tried one with Meg when going through Beijing airport. But, it was just a pain in the rear. So, we just ended up carrying her or letting her ride on the rolling baggage.

I don't like those leashes on children. It's not teaching the child to walk with you, 'cause usually the child is leading the parent around.

Anonymous said...

Again, I want to say that traveling ALONE with a child, is a whole other ball game. Like I said, I don't remember if I even used it.....I do agree that the hand is best for sure, no argument there....However, a back up, at the airport, traveling alone....can't hurt!!!
When you're pushing a stroller with a car seat on top, with a carry on/kids bag, blanket....
Just trying to make a point. :)
Anne P

Anonymous said...

As I was reading, Diego was hangin' on me. So I told him what a good boy he had been today and thanked him. He goes "I would like a treat for being a good boy now." Whatever! :-)

I asked him if I put a leash on him like a doggie, would he like that? He said no and laughed! Then he thinks about it, and came up with a more logical reason as to why, "We don't have one of those." (leash) Silly boy!

Meg WAS super cute in that read leash though. I still have my pictures of her! The cutest pet I'd ever want!

amy k* said...

I'm SO anti-leash......

I guess I just prefer holding babies instead of dragging or being lead by them! lol